Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Live your life ... forget your age!


A few years ago, prior to becoming a Group Fitness Instructor, I was your average, stay-at-home mom with 2 toddlers.  When I started getting back into the gym and encouraged to become an instructor I didn't realize how that decision would truly impact my life in so many different, positive ways--nor how it would effect others.

Here's the story of one that holds a special place in my heart...
it's about an older woman that sat next to me weekly in a morning Mat Pilate class at our local YMCA.  She was in her mid 70's.  Every week I was impressed with her determination and "never give up" attitude.  She never let her age stop her (in fact, I personally think she was even more determined to prove to everyone else in class that she could do it!)  One day I mentioned to her that I enjoyed & benefited so much from Pilates that I wanted to start teaching it, sharing it with others and decided to work toward getting my certification. Once I got my cert. she congratulated me and told me how happy she was for me.  A few months later this older woman excitedly approached me after class, beaming she said "Jodi, I wanted to tell you that I just got my Pilate certification!  I am going to teach a Silver Pilate class...thanks to you---you inspired me!!"  I was truly touched (honestly, even a bit overwhelmed).  I was more-so impressed that at her age she decided to get her certification--GOOD FOR HER!  She should be proud! 
 
A few months later I learned that this woman had her Ph.D. and was a Professor at a large college.  For her to say that I was her inspiration left me shaking my head (but I'll be honest, I was also smiling very proudly inside).  So the next time I saw her I thought she should know what an inspiration she was to me and I made sure to tell her.  To think that at her age she decided to do this was truly inspirational!  She DID it and NEVER let her age stop her.  She's a wonderful instructor, inspiring others her age to move their bodies and feel better!  She believed in herself and age was not going to be the deciding factor.

My point: remember age knows no boundaries!  It's mind over matter.... Live your life & forget your age.  Never let your age stop you from doing anything!!

No comments:

Post a Comment