Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Reached your weight loss goal? Time for a LIFESTYLE change!


You've dieted, exercised and maybe you've finally reached your desired goal, or are close to achieving that magic number, so now what?   Now you "hope" to maintain it right!?!  You need to focus on making a lifestyle change.  Here are some tips from the National Weight Control Registry on how to keep the weight you lost off for good:

Exercise Daily
Get moving, stay moving!  Studies found that people that have successfully lost weight workout 30-90 minutes a day, but the average is 60.  As I've said in previous postings, even if you cannot fit in a full workout: don't get discouraged!  Instead break it into "pieces" (maybe 15 minutes in the morning and then 15 later in the day.  Take the stairs vs elevator. Park you car farther in the lot vs closest to the entrance.)   Exercise needs to become your way of life--not just during your weight lose program, but forever!

Tone Your Muscles
Muscles burn calories.  Weight training helps build muscle and prevents the loss of muscle mass.  Even if you are using your own muscles resistance (ie: push ups, planks, etc) it helps!  So get toning and stay toning!

Make Exercise Meaningful to You
For me, I vary my workouts but truly enjoy Pilates and make that my standard weekly exercise---it helps my back, neck & truly keeps my spine in better alignment so that I don't have to run to the Dr. for an adjustment!  Personally it's not just 'exercise' but a way of improving my overall life/wellness.   On Sunday's I try to attend a Power Yoga class--it is a killer workout, yet at the end it is spiritual, grounding & really balances/centers me. I feel it's something I give to myself (my gift to me!) and a great way to end a hectic week and begin my new week.  My head is clear and I have a more focused, positive mindset.  Don't you deserve something for "you"?  Pick an exercise that you feel is meaningful--you'll feel good doing it and really want to keep it up!

Freshen up your motivation
James O. Hill, Ph.D. (co-founder of the registry) says "what inspired them to start losing the weight may not be the same as what helps them keep it off."  So, if you were inspired to start dieting because of  health issues but now that inspiration isn't motivating you anymore, try focusing on something else that keeps you on track.  Maybe it's new clothing, upcoming holiday gatherings or a reunion.  Pick what works for YOU!

Weigh yourself regularly
A good friend of mine successfully lost weight thru the Weight Watchers program.  Even though she got to her goal weight over a year ago, she still goes to her W.W. branch weekly for "weigh-ins".  I asked her why (why not just weigh yourself at home)?  Her answer " I am more aware during the week when I know I have to go there and weigh in."  It makes sense (sort of "big brother" watching. You don't want to disappoint or have others see you fail!)
People that maintain their weight tend to weight themselves often to make sure they're aware of  when overindulging.  If you see your weight has gone up a bit then you are more likely to make some adjustments in your eating that day to get back to your "happy weight".  (Remember though, don't beat yourself up.  If you've put some weight back on now you'll have to work again to take it off-- hopefully it will be an instant reminder for the next time you go to overindulge!)

You've worked so hard and come this far--GOOD FOR YOU you should feel great!
Remember, new you = new lifestyle (CONGRATS!!)







No comments:

Post a Comment