Sunday, January 6, 2013

1st Sunday of 2013 & it shows at the gym!

Today's definitely the 1st Sunday of the new year and it certainly showed when at the gym this morning! 
There wasn't a parking space in sight and practically every treadmill, bike and other piece of exercise equipment was being used.  I love that people make exercise and better health a part of their New Year resolution, however I cannot stand seeing them workout with bad form!!  It also drives me crazy watching them basically kill their bodies to exhaustion with insane, intense workouts because they decided that January 1st they're back and they're going to attack their resolution!
Since I'm not the shy type, what do I do?  I actually walk up to some people in the gym, introduce myself & briefly explain my fitness background.  I then tell them what I think may be of some help to them.  They actually really appreciate it (whewww!!)!  Here's why I feel sometimes I have to do this: I cannot sit there and watch someone do something wrong 'thinking' it's right! Often people assume they are doing the exercise properly not realizing they are causing more harm then good! I obviously don't walk around and go up to everyone I see using poor form (however it's tempting! lol)

Today's example: this morning a lady was doing what I believe was intended to be a push up.  Her shoulders couldn't be any closer to her ears as she bent her elbows and tried to get down toward the floor.  It hurt just watching her!!  I didn't want to interupt and be rude, so I did let her finish (trust me I struggled with what to do--stop her or let her finish?! Luckily she was on her last one at that point.)   I quietly approached her, mentioned I was a fitness instructor, and asked if she would mind me pointing something out that I noticed that might be of some help to her.  I proceeded to explain that her shoulders & upper back were shrugged high up to her ears as she pushed down.  I mentioned that I believed if she countinued to do it this way I bet her neck would hurt.  She commented "actually it's funny you say that because I recently started working out and that is exactly what is bothering me--my neck!  I couldn't figure out why!  Now it makes perfect sense!"  She thanked me over and over....I told her to pay it forward :)

The point, whenever working out PLEASE USE PROPER FORM and be smart in your daily exercise routine.  If you are new to the gym, or just back in the gym after a long break, PLEASE don't try to be Superman and conquer every piece of equipment in a day using heavy weights and then running a marathon on the treadmill.  more than likely you'll experience 'burnout' within a few weeks (or worse injury yourself!)  It often takes TIME and PATIENCE to see the results---killing yourself the first few weeks back will NOT benefit you in the long term.  If you can afford it then hire a personal trainer, even if only for a few sessions (trust me, the money will be well spent!) If you are working out at a local gym, then PLEASE don't be shy--ask the fitness professional on staff questions or ask them to check your form.  Or find a friend and spot each other.   If you are home, then use a mirror and adjust as necessary.  If using a DVD listen to their verbal cues. 

Nothing makes me happier then when people that I train, or those that take my classes, tell me that I am a part of their New Year resolution.  If a fitness routine is a part of YOUR resolution, PLEASE be safe and do it correctly.  You'll then be on the best path to keeping your resolution on track and getting the "new, fit you" in 2013! 

No comments:

Post a Comment