Monday, August 20, 2012

How to PLANK!

Anyone that takes my fitness classes knows they aren't escaping the plank!  No matter what class type I am teaching, there will always be a plank.  It's such a multi-tasker (like me! lol).   Aside from other things, it really works the CORE (which isn't just abs, but the back, as well as stabilizer muscles.)  I am a true believer that this is probably one of the best fitness moves for anyone, any level. (And I believe it is what keeps my back in better alignment and from feeling the daily pain that I once experienced from my car accident!)

Start off basic then work to challenging yourself on variations and increased time holding the plank.  Planks needs proper form.  1st: ALIGNMENT is essential!  Be sure once palms are on floor your wrists are aligned under your shoulders (if down on forearms, which tends to be a bit more difficult, be sure to have elbows under shoulders).   Next, push your heels back slightly.  Be sure your back is flat and you form a straight line from your head to heels (remember: booty down, belly up!)  AND KEEP THAT CHIN UP! (So many times I see the head drop down...you're putting pressure on your neck which = ouch!!  Keep your neck neutral!) Then, like I mentioned in my blog the other day: slide those shoulder blades down your back and picture dropping them into imaginary jean pockets--you will be amazed at how that feels!  The key is to: KEEP THOSE ABS ENGAGED THE ENTIRE TIME YOU ARE HOLDING THAT PLANK!!!  Again, I always say: FORM over FUNCTION!  So, if you feel you are losing your proper form, then come down, rest it out for a few seconds then come back up to it until you've completed the time you are working toward holding that plank.  Don't get sloppy!  It serves no purpose to continue doing it wrong--you are wasting your time and could risk injury.  So stop & come back to it (and that doesn't mean you are giving up!  You're just taking the short break needed to get it done right & listening to your body!)  Goal: hold 20-60 seconds, lower & repeat for 3-5 reps daily.  

There are so many variations to planks.  As you can see in my last blog's video, add paper plates as gliders & use them under your hands and then feet.  Do knee bends.  Do leg lifts and arm lifts.  Try a reverse plank with your back to the floor and belly up to sky--again form 1st!  But start off basic, then increase your challenges--no need to risk injury if you aren't ready for the more intense moves. And again, FORM over FUNCTION!  

Trust me, if you continue working on these daily you'll be amazed at how far you've come!  I had a woman in my Pilate class last week so proud after finally completing her 1st full minute after months of working at it.  She said "I never thought I could do it!  It took a while but I never gave up.  I feel fantastic!"  She had me in tears and the rest of the class clapping.  It was very rewarding for both of us!  (After class she came to me and said "Jodi you were right, it took time and patience but I did it!   I NEVER thought I could.  Thank you!"  As a Fitness Instructor, there's truly no sweeter music to my ears friends!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment