Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Core-aholic!

I'm a "core-aholic" (yes, I made that up!)  But I am addicted to anything core related.  Why?  Because I practice what I preach and if it weren't for strengthening my physical core these past few years, I most certainly wouldn't be able to move like I do daily--I am certain of that!
From the minute we wake up our core goes into action.  Don't believe me? Well think of when you wake and 1st sit up in bed.  Do you have a tough time bringing your upper body to an upright position.  I used to.  However now (after a few years of Pilates and daily core exercises) I use my core without even thinking about it!   I sit up pulling belly back to spine and lifting up through the core region (never need to use my hands down onto mattress first or pulling my neck & shoulders to assist me getting to a seated position.  I used to though and back then never really thought I had a "choice"!)  Amazing as I'd never have guessed it either, but it is true...remember my motto: Core is key! 

When speaking of  your physical "core" we are talking about the muscles not just in the ab region, but the ones that extend around hips into your back--the region ranging from your shoulders to your hips.

Here's some great core info from Mark Verstegen, author of Core Performance (Rodale 2004):
1) It reduces and prevents pain
"A strong core stabilizes you and works like a natural brace for you joints"

2) It makes you look taller and thinner
"When you strengthen your upper back and shoulders, the muscles are pulled back & down, removing any trace of a hunch"


3) It delays the aging process
 "A strong core keeps your body aligned so that you can function properly"

4) It improves mental function
"Having a stable & aligned spine allows your brain to receive your body's messages more efficiently"


5) It improves performance
"Stabilizing your core hones your fine motor skills, so you can react quickly and stay balanced on unstable surfaces"


So now you ask: how do I strengthen my core?  My absolute favorite tip: start doing
PLANKS, PLANKS & PLANKS!  There are so many variations.  You can do a basic plank, a side plank, reverse plank....add leg lifts, arm/leg circles, so on and so on.  I suggest you check out YouTube and enter keyword "plank".  There you'll find some great instructional videos (and I find watching is sometimes more helpful then just looking at pictures as you can really see how it should be performed.)  Be sure to check out the many variations of planks that can be performed---you'll be amazed at how many there are!

ALWAYS remember: FORM 1st!  So be aware of your hand placements, arm alignments, neck neutral and always engaging the core & ab region during the entire time you are holding that plank in order to get the full effect--no matter which variation you are doing!  If you have never done them before or it's been a while, PLEASE listen to your body and START OFF SLOWLY and BE PATIENT!  Like a beautiful flower growing from a seed--IT TAKES TIME!  Think of your core the seed--you need to nurture it, condition it and take daily care of it--then over time you will have that beautiful flower you are anxious to have. Your core needs to slowly develop strength and you will see over a few weeks you are beginning to get stronger, hold the pose longer, etc.  When you look back in a few months you will be amazed at how far you've come--trust me!!  I tell new students in my fitness classes that all the time & I know they don't believe me.  Then, months later, they are beaming with pride when they realize just how far they've come--their core "blossoming" as they can finally see just how beautiful their hard work & dedication has paid off! 
Never give up---practice does make perfect with this!!  Remember: Power2theCore!!







No comments:

Post a Comment