Thursday, August 30, 2012

Group fitness classes & High Intensity Interval Training info


As a Group Fitness Instructor, I know there are so many varieties of classes being taught at gyms today.  Sometimes it's hard to figure out which one is best for you.  Often it's a matter of trial & error and finding one or more that you seem to enjoy and that will keep you coming back.  Many times you are learning new, challenging moves so don't give up!  It takes time and patience.  Be sure to be consistent and attend that class several times before deciding if it's not for you.  Also be sure to try it with other instructors (just because your pals like one instructor doesn't mean that person motivates you the same way!)  Ironically for many years I was NEVER a group fitness attendee!  Why?  Well honestly the classes intimidated me.  Seemed everyone else knew what they were doing so how the heck would I learn the moves without looking like a fool?  But one day I decided I really wanted to give Pilates a try and could not afford private lessons, so joining in on the group class at my local Y was the answer.  Yes, I thought at first it was tough, a bit intimidating and frustrating, but there was something that kept me coming back--the instructor and the mind/body connection I felt to the moves.  I liked it and was determined to keep trying it, really learn the moves & get better at it!   And now, a few years later, I am a Mat Pilates instructor--obviously I learned to love it! (Remember: if I hadn't tried I would never have known!  And physically the benefits have been more therapeutic then I'd ever imagine for my back, neck and spine!  It's become a way of life for me.  A total win-win situation--so trying something new really can be worth it!)

I see many high energy classes (such as Kickbox and Zumba) packed!  Why?  They are fun!  Usually the high energy of the other attendees, as well the instructor,  is contagious!  Often after a Zumba class I see people leaving the class smiling --they feel great, looking like they just left a party vs worked out!  Hey, they should smile---they've just had a blast, listened to some great music and danced their booties (and many calories) off!!!  Spin is another popular class--many find it addictive & highly motivating (especially if the music is great!)

One class that I teach and people seem to really enjoy is a "high intensity interval training" class.  Once you finish this class there's no doubt you have worked hard, but the feeling of accomplishment is unbelievable (often people high five each other &/or clap.  It's really cool as an instructor to see their joy and sense of "I did it!")


So, what is this "newer" buzz word heard more often now in the gyms and fitness arena "High Intensity Interval Training" (or sometimes referred to as HIIT)?  This is when you alternate short bursts of exercise at a very challenging effort level with less intense recovery periods.   I love teaching this!  It boosts endurance and will burn the greatest number of calories in the least amount of time (and longer throughout the day!)   Also, according to Martin Gibala, PH.D. (a lead study author of the Journal of Physiology) "doing this type of exercise just 15-20 minutes, 3 times/per week you will see improvements in heart function & blood vessels that are similar to those who work out at a steady, moderated pace for 30 minutes a week.  Those changes translate to a reduced risk of cardiovascular disease."   If you can't get to a gym that offers this type of  class you can always do this at home/on your own.  For example, if you are on a treadmill, then add in fast sprints as "bursts" and then bring it back down to a less intense level to "recover", then "burst" again,  rotating between bursts and recovery (the key is to remember: the recovery should be longer then the "burst" period!).  If working out then add in quick bursts of jump roping, jumping jacks or burpees just to name a few.  I also suggest you check out on YouTube some examples or get one of the popular DVD's that are out there on the market. 

Hopefully you will find a group fitness class that works best for your needs.  Remember: you won't know unless you try, so try a few that interest you and get moving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment