Saturday, October 6, 2012

YOU can help boost your next Group Fitness class! Here's how...

 

Many people attend a Group Fitness class because they feel the teacher and other class participants motivate them.  As an instructor, as well as a participant at times, I fully agree!  Some days you're just not in the mood to workout but you get to that group fitness class, feed off the energy of the teacher, music and other participants and leave feeling like a winner knowing you accomplished it.  You feel great!  

Want to know how to make your fitness class even better?  Here's a little secret: you know how YOU feed off the instructor's energy, well guess what?  He/she feeds off of YOU as well!   
Here's my tip: before the class starts say something positive or encouraging to him/her.  It acts as a little "jump start" and energy boost!  The reason I feel it works: most instructors became instructors not only because they enjoy working out and the fitness benefits for others, but they truly love making others feel great!  Trust me, I know it works for me as well as my co-workers!  Who doesn't like to get positive feedback!?  No matter what job you do, when someone says something encouraging and positive to you doesn't it make you feel good?  It most certainly puts an extra bounce in your step!

Here's a personal example of how I was energized yesterday prior to my Hi/Lo Interval Training class: a female participant came to me and told me how during last weeks class she didn't think she could do the high, quick bursting jumps we were doing. She said she surprised herself by actually doing them. She went on to say that she was so excited she told her friends over the weekend how proud she was of actually accomplishing it!  Guess what? I felt great hearing that!  Just because I had encouraged her during class to go above and beyond what she thought were her limits, she actually accomplished it & was now proudly bragging about it (as she should!  She worked hard and earned the bragging rights!)  As her instructor, I loved hearing that she felt that way from my class.

Another example occurred the week prior.  I had told this same HIIT class that we would be going out onto the track toward the latter part of the class to do some quick, bursting sprints.  One (older) woman said to me "this is my first time in this class.  I didn't realize you went onto the track.  I don't run.  I don't think I can do it...."  I told her to modify the sprint to a quick walk if she felt uncomfortable--that it wouldn't be a problem as she needed to focus on only "herself" and not what the others were doing.  So that day I noticed she added a quick little sprint here and there, working to her capacity.  After class I congratulated her and said I knew she could do it. The following week she was back!  I was glad to see she was giving it another try (and that I hadn't "scared" her away lol).  Before class she came to me and said "I'm back!  Are we doing the track today?"  I answered yes.  She said "great because I am ready to challenge myself a little more today.  I never thought I'd actually say that and I really never thought I could do it!"  Well that was music to my ears!  And let me tell you, during that class I was on fire!  They got such a high charged workout because I was energized prior from this woman's words.  Really!  It motivated me just as much as someone that takes my class waiting for me to motivate them!

My point:  we are all human.  We all look for encouraging, positive words in the jobs we do--they can truly make someones day that much better.  Take the time on occasion to go up to your instructor and say a kind word or mention how you enjoy their class.  I am certain it will go a long way and it'll be a win/win for everyone!




No comments:

Post a Comment