Sunday, September 9, 2012

Tips for finding a Group Fitness Class that works for you


A Group Fitness class can get rev up your weekly fitness routine, add motivation and allow you to learn some new techniques.
Here are some tips Core Chic Jodi feels you should consider: 

1) First, pick something that interests you!  Do you like to dance?  Then try a Zumba class.  Do you like to ride a bike?  Then give Spin a try.  Today there are so many varieties of  group fitness classes out there there's bound to be something that catches your interest.  What better way to start then looking forward to something you know you'll really enjoy!?!

2) Ask your friends.  If you ask a few of your closest friends what classes they like, they'll be honest and tell you what classes have caught their attention and why.  It's likely that since they like it you might too--especially if you go together!   The motivation to join in on it with your pal will more then likely inspire you to get there regularly (and after making it through the workout/class it's fun to bond over the feeling of accomplishing it together!!)

3) Speak to the instructor.  If you know who the instructor of the class that interests you is, feel free to approach him/her prior to the class to ask exactly what that class is about, how difficult it is, etc.  A good instructor is there to instruct in every aspect!  As long as you are not cutting into a classes time, never feel that you cannot approach them.  If you don't get a chance prior to the class, then ask questions after class so that you know for next time. Also, I always encourage people to tell the instructor prior to the class that they are new .  Usually in my classes I recognize a new face, but if they are new I never know their skill level, etc. and like to keep a special eye on them during the class (allows me to make adjustments/corrections as necessary).  Then after class I then go over a few things with them so that they are encouraged for the next time they attend (I also find it helps develop a special bond.  They know I truly care about them and they feel comfortable coming to me.) 

4)  After trying a class, if you like it then buy into a package deal if it is offered.  Why?  I think by doing this you "commit" yourself and are more likely to feel obligated to attend since you already paid for it (and who these days wants to throw money away?) 

5) Don't give up!  I always suggest giving a particular class a few chances.   Don't forget you are learning a lot of new moves, steps, etc and often a class is not taught the same each week.   Understandably it certainly could be discouraging the first time you try a class and everyone around you seems to know what they are doing and you don't.  Remember, we were all beginners in that class at some point!

Also, for my classes I never teach the same class twice!  Some classes have to follow certain routines & moves, but for most of mine I can vary it and may use some of the same moves, but always change it up each time as I hate following the same routine week after week (I find it boring).  If you only came once to the class and maybe didn't love some of the moves, etc you may be giving up on something without knowing that it really could have been great for you.

6) Same class, maybe try a different instructor.  You may really like kickbox but the instructor just doesn't inspire you.  We don't take offense to that (or shouldn't).  Everyone is different, just as every instructor's personality is.  What might suit your friend may not be the right fit for you.   You have to feel that "connection".   The instructor can really make or break the class (trust me, I hear it all the time.)  One of the nicest things a participant said to me last week at one of my early morning Corporate fitness classes "we wouldn't be here this early if it weren't for you & your positive energy... The instructor makes the difference, we are here because of you!"  (Yes, it did make me feel good and meant they did too...the reason I love what I do!)   Again, you need to really enjoy being there to benefit fully!!

Remember: the more often you try a given group fitness class the more likely you start to get used to the moves, the instructor, build confidence, gain comfort.  But if it just isn't for you don't give up!  Give something else a try until it "clicks".  As I always tell my class prior to starting: "this is your time, your workout make it count--but make sure you enjoy it!"

No comments:

Post a Comment