Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"Breast Cancer Awareness"--info for your health


As we approach October and the designated Breast Cancer Awareness month, I do what I always do this time of year: get my yearly Mammogram.  I've been doing it for several years now, even before I turned the big 4-0, since I am considered high risk due to family history.  As I sat in the waiting room surrounded by other women (all of various ages) I couldn't help but wonder: who among us sitting here is sadly going to find out from this mammogram that they have breast cancer?  I truly felt awful thinking that, but unfortunately it is very likely....

...This blog post is dedicated my heroes: my mother, grandmothers and aunts---all of them had breast cancer (thankfully some survived, however some did not - whether due to the breast cancer or additional cancers).  I also dedicate this to all of my dear friends and loved ones that are currently battling or have battled this disease--you all are truly amazing and I am so impressed by your courage and strength.  And I must also, very sadly, dedicate this to my close friends & loved ones, both young & old, that have lost their battle--we miss you dearly & think of you often!

In 1982, Susan B. Komen for the Cure was formed.  It is the global leader of the breast cancer movement and has invested more than $1.5 Billion since it's inception in 1982!
                                     According to Susan B. Komen for the Cure:
*Except for skin cancers, breast cancer is the most common type of cancer among women in the US.
*It is 2nd only to lung cancer as a cause of cancer death among women
*Breast cancer accounts for 1 of every 3 cancer diagnosis of women in the US
*Approx. 200,000 women will be diagnosed with invasive breast cancer in the US this year
*Nearly 40,000 will die from the disease this year
*Over 50,000 new cases of non-invasive breast cancer are expected to occur in women this year
*About 2000 cases will be diagnosed in MEN this year & about 400  men will die this year in the US
*There are about 2,500,000 survivors alive today of breast cancer in the US
*Deaths due to breast cancer seems to be on the decline thanks to a combo of early detection & more effective treatments!

Check out ww5.Komen.org - there you will find a wealth of info on breast health, news & events, how to get involved, donations and more.  Be sure while on that site to check out the link "Breast Cancer 101" where you can select a topic to get more info on such as: incidence & risk factors, genetics & breast cancer, breast self-awareness, living a healthy lifestyle and much more.
Male or female, I really encourage you to check this out and share the info--do it for yourself as well as someone you love!  

Core Chic Jodi suggests the following websites & phone numbers for additional information:
ww5.Komen.org (Susan G. Komen for the Cure)
www.nationalbreastcancer.org (National Breast Cancer Foundation Inc.)
www.nbcam.org (National Breast Cancer Awareness Month/NBCAM.org)
For Cancer Help: 1-800-227-2345





(Credit: Susan B. Komen for the Cure)



No comments:

Post a Comment