Friday, September 28, 2012

A good for you snack: Popcorn!

 
Who doesn't love popcorn?  I do--it's one of my favorite snacks.  Typically popcorn is considered a good, healthy snack alternative. (Obviously I'm not talking about the stuff you get at the local movie theater. Yes, I agree it's tasty but it's full of fat, sodium and certainly not the healthiest choice around.)  According to recent research by the University of Scranton "if you air pop popcorn and prepare it healthier it actually packs up to twice as many of the antioxidants called polyphenols as sources like apples and grapes...."  They also found that the yellow hulls (the ones that annoyingly gets stuck between your teeth!) actually "contain the highest concentration of disease-fighting compounds, as well as plenty of fiber."  

Air-popped popcorn is naturally high in dietary fiber, low in calories and fat and free of sugar and sodium.

I enjoy air popped and often add some tasty additions to mine such as raisins, cranberry-raisins, almonds, peanuts, etc.  Sometimes I sprinkle on some paprika or even some cinnamon sugar when I want something sweet.  Get creative!  You could even try some hot sauce or garlic sprinkle (that's if you're a garlic fan.  I like garlic but truthfully not on my popcorn-but I know others that do!)   And of course my kids love the good, old-fashioned style popcorn with a little butter and salt---that's OK too as long as it's all in moderation....So go get popping!!

*For some great popcorn recipes check out the following site
(or Google "popcorn recipes" as there are a bunch of  other sites out there):

www.popcorn.org











Credits:
University of Scranton
Shape Magazine, August 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment