Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11/01....always in our hearts


11 years ago 9/11....seems like yesterday.  Almost everyone can remember exactly where they were.  For me, I had just returned from my long honeymoon in Hawaii and was still home that morning in my condo--I lived right across the Hudson River on the NJ side in a small town that bordered the river called Edgewater.  The view of the NY skyline was magnificent from this side of the river.  It was a gorgeous September morning--sun was shining, the air was crisp, just picture perfect........

....Ciaos, confusion as the sky turned grey.   Dust & smoke quickly filling the air outside our windows...the sounds of the sirens--lots and lots of sirens, neighbors running through the halls of our small condo building.  One friend/neighbor came into my condo and we dropped to the floor covering our heads unsure if we too were in harms way.  Then frantically making calls trying to reach close friends & family that I knew worked in NYC and not reaching any of them...FEAR! ....ciaos turned to sadness, deep, hollow sadness....

Every year tears stream down my face at this early hour in memory of that horrific morning.  I have many friends that lost loved ones, co-workers, dear friends. Friends that their babies will never know their parent--just that they were killed on that day in NYC and they were someone very special, very loved.   Everyone here knew someone.  It was that close to home.  For me, my high school boyfriend Mike was killed in one of the towers.  We lost touch after college, but he was truly an all around great guy--brilliant, caring, handsome, friendly, athletic....He and his wife were eagerly awaiting the birth of their 1st child, a son, due soon......
 
...A few years later I moved with my husband out of Edgewater and into the suburbs.  Ironically, just a few months later, a 9/11 Memorial was built only a few short miles from my home.  I pass it each and every day.  Mike's memorial plaque is there with the many others from our area.  I cannot pass without always thinking of him and his family..... Then I have my 1st child--ironically her birthday is the exact same day as Mike's.  Last year on the 10 yr anniversary of 9/11, while visiting the memorial the strangest thing happened: as I sat there with my kids paying our respects, explaining what happened and why we were here, I saw a woman hesitantly walk up to the memorial wall site--I knew instantly it was Mike's mom that I had lost contact with many years ago, but thought of very often.  I walked up, put my arm around her and we hugged and cried together....she said it first: she felt Mike brought us together again--it was "a sign".  I felt exactly the same--there was a reason....We now stay in touch and there's such comfort in that for both of us.

Friends that have lost spouses & loved ones have slowly moved on (not easily at first, but over time).  Some remarried, some moved, some had more kids....but they never forget.  Life needs to go on.  We need to heal.  That doesn't mean we ever forget, nor should we.
So days like today are difficult--as much as we have moved on, we cannot get past the awful events that occurred on 9/11/01. It will never be "easy"....Cry if you need to.  Hug someone.  Be sure to say what's on your mind--don't hold it inside.  Use today as a day to reflect and make a change for the better--for yourself and those around you.  Realize today that yes, life is certainly too short!
We certainly never know what could happen in a moments time.  Don't sweat the small stuff...live each day as if it's your last.
                       Life is a gift, eagerly open it each and every day & enjoy the present.....

No comments:

Post a Comment